Washing Machine Is Not Spinning
Nice to meet you. I’m Serge. Home appliance technician from Ottawa. I have been repairing home appliances for more than 15 years. You can contact me if you need a personal approach, a good price and a guarantee.
In this article, I will show you why the washing machine doesn’t spin.
Call me now: 613-806-9391
Why Doesn't The Washing Machine Spin?
The washing machine won’t spin if:
- There is a drain problem. The washer won’t start to spin when there is water in the drum. Usually, washing machines check the drain pump at the beginning of the cycle, and it won’t start if the pump is clogged or broken. The washer will stop in the middle of the cycle if the pump is ok, but the drain time is too long because of the restricted drain ways ( The picture on the right).
- The drum is not balanced. The washing machine starts to spin but can’t spin fast. It stops and starts again trying to get balance. Sometimes is enough to stop the washer and readjust the clothes evenly along the tub diameter. This is a common problem with top-load washing machines.
The Samsung front-load washing machines’ common problem is a broken shaft assembly (spider). When it starts to crack the washer can’t get balanced and won’t spin fast. I usually know that it is when I get a call about the Samsung washer spin problem.
- There is a motor problem. The motor speed sensor is a common issue of LG washing machines.
- The door switch problem. This is a common dysfunction of top-load washing machines. The tub will agitate in the wash cycle but will stop when the washer tries to lock the lid before the spin cycle.
- The belt is broken or slippy because of grease. Today there are more direct drive washers working without a belt.
- The faulty clutch of top-load Whirlpool, Kenmore washing machines. The washer’s agitator will rotate during the wash cycle, but the tub doesn’t spin or spin slowly during the spin cycle. (The picture on the right).
- The coupling is broken (old top-load Whirlpool and Kenmore washers). A coupling is a connection between the motor and a tub. You can hear the noise of the motor, but the washer won’t spin from the beginning.
I am very surprised that the washing machines have so many spin problems. Overall, when the washer doesn’t spin it could be a drain problem, a balance problem, or a drive-gear issue.
Want To Get More Information?
Service Enquiry Online Form
If you have questions before trying my service, please call me at 613-806-9391 or fill in this simple contact form.
I’ll answer all your questions asap.